Friday, May 4, 2007

Take a Giant Leap, Neil Armstrong! By: Peter and Connie Roop


Roop, P. and C. (2005). Take a Giant Leap, Neil Armstrong! Scholastic.

I picked up this chapter book from the gift shop at the Armstrong Air and Space Museum. located in his family's primary hometown of Wapakoneta, Ohio while I was on Spring Break in that state. Whenever I go to a new place, I have to go to the museums that are new (or old favorites) and I have to go to their gift shops. Museum gift shops are a magnet to people who are teachers! I decided my souvenir, besides a postcard for my globe spanning post card collection, would be a book that I could read for my project. I told my students that about the book, and with my fascination, a few of my students soon jockeyed to have a turn with the book in their personal book boxes so they could read it for reading workshop.

This chapter book is from a series of biographies published by Scholastic called “Before I Made History” and is written by the author duo of Peter and Connie Roop. I am previously familiar with work from this couple from their books such as Keep the Lights Burning Abbie and Buttons for General Washington. I mostly know them for their non-fiction history related books, but they have written all types of genres, both non-fiction and fiction. This particular biography on Neil Armstrong was quite full of facts and content in ten solid chapters, but never went on too long or drawn out on an aspect of his life so to keep the pace moving. I think that it could be very easy to fall into a challenge of telling about a very accomplished person’s life and feel overwhelmed with how much to tell and how much detail would be supportive. I feel that the Roops did a fine job of finding a balance of telling about Armstrong’s whole life, yet sticking to the side of the scale of his years growing up, which is the aim of the “Before I Made History” series.

In general, many people know about Armstrong’s most famous accomplishments, but do they know what happened in his life and what were his driving forces which led him to this major, historical accomplishment? I think that it is invaluable for students to learn about how Armstrong’s self-discipline for hard work and studying, along with his passion for his interests in flying and outer space, led him to persevere and believe in his dream of someday getting to walk on the moon. It’s was heartwarming to read about how his family was supportive of his interests in flying, and with their modest income, did manage to do things like take him to the Cleveland Airport on long, bumpy roads from their hometown area of Wapakoneta, Ohio as much as they realistically could, that his father took him on a real plane ride when rides were once being sold at a local airfield when he was six, and that they bought him a telescope to feed his curiosity of the night time sky. Armstrong was encouraged to read about his passions and he did as much as he could, and he built from scratch amazing airplane models, and later on, even a homemade wind tunnel.

He went to Perdue University to combine his passions of designing airplanes, flying, and outer space. Armstrong took a three year break being a fighter pilot, where he could fine tune his flying skills, serve his country in the Korean War, and have college tuition paid for through the scholarship. The last chapter discusses his space career, and where the book ends, it very easily leads a reader to read other sources and research to find out more about his infamous space career. I like that this book explains his foundations and how he found his passions, never giving up on his aspirations. I think that is important for young students to hear about in this world today. Hard work and perseverance will keep you from feeling held back and regretful in life. Armstrong certainly can look back and not regret anything!

No comments: